c. Towing Vehicle from Rear (Rear Wheels Up).
It will be necessary to remove the wrecker lifting eyes (shackle) prior to attaching the
(1) Attach the eye of the towbar (5) to the pintle (7) of the vehicle requiring towing and the towbar arms
to the wrecker rear lifting eye attaching bracket.
Ensure that wrecker hoisting boom and hook are centered over the lifting shackles.
Failure to do this may result in difficult turning during towing operations.
(2) Install chain assembly (3) through the rear lifting shackles (8) and attach the chain assembly (3) to
the wreckers hoisting hook (4).
(3) Secure safety chain (6) to towed vehicles frame and to wrecker directly behind bumper or
bumperette and let safety chain (6) dip to about 1 ft (30.5 cm) from the ground.
Prior to towing vehicle with rear wheels up, secure steering wheel to prevent front wheels
from turning. Failure to do this may cause damage to vehicle and injury or death to
(4) Secure steering wheel.
(5) If towing operation is more than a distance of 30 mi (48 km), or towing speed is expected to be over
30 mph (48 kph), remove front propeller shaft.
(6) Place transmission and transfer case shift levers in N (neutral).
(7) Depress parking brake release button and release parking brake lever.
(8) Lift rear wheels from ground.
(9) Proceed with towing operations.