e. Towing M996, M996A1, M997, M997A1, and M997A2 Ambulance Vehicles from Rear (Rear Wheels
(1) Install eye (12) of towbar (9) in pintle hook (11) of towing vehicle and secure pintle hook (11) with
cotter pin (10).
(2) Remove two safety pins (16) and connector pins (3) securing two clamps (2) to towbar extension legs
(7) and remove clamps (2).
(3) Install two clamps (2) on rear bumper (1) of disabled vehicle with adjusting nuts (17) facing downward
and clamp chains (18) over top of bumper (1).
(4) Remove two safety pins (14) and extension pins (13) securing extension legs (7) to towbar (9), and
adjust extension legs (7) length to attach to two clamps (3). Secure extension legs (7) to two clamps (2) with
two connector pins (3) and safety pins (16).
(5) Secure extension legs (7) to towbar (9) with two extension pins (13) and safety pins (14).
(6) Tighten two adjusting nuts (17) on clamps (2) to secure clamp chains (18) to bumper (1).
Wrecker hoisting boom should be positioned so that chain from wrecker boom hook to
towing pintle makes minimal contact with rear of ambulance body. It may be necessary
to extend towbar legs to provide sufficient hoisting chain clearance to prevent damage to
rear of ambulance body.
(7) Attach hoisting chain (5) to wrecker boom hook (6) and towing pintle (4) of towed vehicle, ensuring
towing pintle latch (15) is facing downward.
(8) Attach and secure safety chain (8) to frame of disabled vehicle and to wrecker, directly behind
bumper (1). Allow chain (8) to dip to approximately 1 ft (30.5 cm) above ground.
Prior to towing vehicle with rear wheels up, secure steering wheel to prevent front wheels
from turning. Failure to do this may cause damage to vehicle, injury, or death.
(9) Secure steering wheel.
(10) If towing distance is more than 30 mi (48 km), remove front propeller shaft.
(11) Place transmission and transfer case shift levers in N (neutral) position.
(12) Lift rear end of disabled vehicle off ground.
Do not exceed 15 mph (24 kph) towing speed. Avoid sharp turns and U-turns when
towing. Failure to comply may cause damage to equipment.
(13) Proceed with towing operations.