4-79. BATTERY REPLACEMENT AND SERVICING
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit:
Battery holddown removed (para. 4-78).
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
General Safety Instructions
Wear safety goggles and rubber gloves, and do not
smoke when performing battery maintenance.
Remove all jewelry.
W A R N I N G
Battery acid (electrolyte) is extremely harmful. Always wear
safety goggles and rubber gloves, and do not smoke when
performing battery maintenance. Severe injury will result if acid
contacts eyes or skin.
Remove all jewelry such as rings, dog tags, bracelets, etc. If
jewelry or disconnected battery ground cable contacts battery
terminal, a direct short can result, causing instant heating of
tools, severe injury to personnel, or damage to equipment.
1. Loosen four screws (4) and nuts (2) from four battery terminal clamps (3) and terminals (1).
2. Using battery clamp puller, remove four battery terminal clamps (3) from terminals (1).
3. Place cables (6) in a position to prevent arcing with batteries.
4. Remove batteries (5) from battery box (7).
For battery testing and servicing instructions refer to
1. Position batteries (5) in box (7).
2. Ensure negative (1) terminal posts are correctly located. Cables must reach their respective
terminals without stretching.
3. Install four battery terminal clamps (3) to battery terminals (1).
4. Tighten four nuts (2) and screws (4) on battery terminal clamps (3) and battery terminals (1).