4-78. BATTERY HOLDDOWN REPLACEMENT
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
Battery box cover removed (para. 10-35).
Battery ground cable disconnected (para. 4-73).
Battery interconnecting cable and positive cable
disconnected (para. 4-73).
General Safety Instructions
Wear safety goggles and rubber gloves, and do not
smoke when performing battery maintenance.
Remove all jewelry.
W A R N I N G
Battery acid (electrolyte) is extremely harmful. Always wear
safety goggles and rubber gloves, and do not smoke when
performing battery maintenance. Severe injury will result if
acid contacts eyes or skin.
Remove all jewelry such as rings, dog tags, bracelets, etc. If
jewelry or disconnected battery ground cable contacts battery
terminal, a direct short can result, causing instant heating of
tools, severe injury to personnel, or damage to equipment.
1. Remove nut (8), screw (6), and interconnecting cable (4) from battery terminal clamp (5) and
terminal post (7).
2. Remove four nuts (2) and holddown rods (1) from battery holddown (3), battery box (10) and brackets (9).
3. Remove battery holddown (3).
1. Install battery holddown (3) on batteries (11), battery box
rods (1) and nuts (2).
(10), and brackets (9) with four holddown
2. Install interconnecting cable (4) on battery terminal clamp (5) at terminal post (7) with screw (6)
and nut (8).