1 2-46. STEKE-R
BATTERY INTERNAL RESISTANCE TEST #73
This procedure measures the internal battery
resistance. Internal battery resistance is a
measure of the state of the batteries. Test
requires DCA hookup only.
Possible Error Messages:
Evaluate batteries on Cl engines with VTM
being powered from battery of vehicle tested.
E002 Transducer not connected.
E005 Cffset not performed.
E006 VTM does not detect battery voltage.
E013 VTM cannot use data received.
E020 No first-peak information was
detected by the VTM.
E021 VTM cannot calculate result because
current is over current probes range.
1. Disconnect fuel solenoid wire 54A from the
injector pump to prevent starting.
2. Make sure all vehicle accessories are off.
3. Set TEST SELECT switches to 73.
4. Press and hold TEST button until CAL
appears on display.
5. Release TEST button and wait for offset value
to appear on display. If offset is within the
-150 to 150 range, proceed.
If not, go to DCA
6. Press and release TEST button.
7. When GO appears on display, crank engine
for 2 seconds or until one of the following
appears on the display: OFF
An error message
8. Observe displayed value (milliohms).
limit is 25 milliohms per battery pair.
9. Test 75 is Battery Resistance Change. You
can run that test after this one if desired.
Run confidence test. Turn off all electrical
If .S.S.S.S is displayed, battery internal
resistance was too high and cannot be
measured with VTM.
If E013 is displayed, check battery
connections and correct as necessary.
Repeat Step 6. If E013 persists after 3
tests, VTM cannot perform test.