Check for looseness in idler arm and pitman
arm (paras. 8-17 and 8-13). For replacing
center link, refer to para. 8-14. For replacing be
rods, refer to para. 8-16.
TIE ROD END
For replacing the pulley, refer to para. 8-23.
Do not loosen slotted nut to install cotter Din.
the nut may result in damage to the
To check for proper operation of ball joints:
(1) Chock rear wheels front and back.
(2) Raise front wheels about 2 in. off the ground
and support on a jack stand.
a. For Lower Ball Joints
(3) Mark a line across the head of the top bolt holding
the steering arm cover. Make sure
the mark is parallel to the lower control arm.
(4) Put a prybar between the cover control arm
and geared hub.
(5) Set a 6-in. ruler upright between the lower
control arm and the marked screw.
(6) Push down the prybar to try to move the hub.
(7) Measure movement in the hub assembly. If
movement is more than l/8 in. (3 mm),
replace lower ball joint (para. 6-24).
b. For Upper Ball Joints
(8) Grasp top of tire and attempt to move it IN and OUT.
(9) Grasp upper control arm and attempt to move it up
(10) If there IS any noticeable movement between
geared hub and upper control arm. replace upper bail
jotnt (para. 6-23).