GLOW PLUGS CIRCUIT
Refer to the functional flow schematic.
If the glow
plug controller is shorted (continuity from pin 6 to
pin 3) the glow plug power relay will always be
energized and the glow plugs will always be
STEIICE-R TEST 80
1. Start Test 80. Battery Current.
2. Displayed reading is in amps. The reading
will be greater then 30 amps, depending on
how many accessories you have on.
Since the glow plugs draw
current without the glow
plug controller connected,
there must be a short in
the harness or a stuck
relay in the PCB. If there
were a short in the
harness directly to the
glow plugs, the glow plugs
would have burned out
long ago and you wouldnt
be here. The only other
short in the harness that
0 0 l 6 lo
would make the glow
GLOW PLUG CONTROLLER
plugs turn on without the
glow plug controller
installed would show.
up as battery voltage at
pin 6 of the controllers
Replace PCB (para. 4-4).
Check the end of the harness at the PCB, glow plugs,
etc., for shorts.
Repair whatever you can. If you dont
see anything wrong, the short must be in the main
body of the harness. which means that you have to
replace the harness.
negative battery cable
There is battery voltage
at the PCB at all
times. Failure to disconnect
will result in damage to equipment
injury to personnel.
Repair or replace wiring (para. 4-80).
1. Set the voltmeter to a DC volts scale of about 1
2. Connect the BLACK lead to the battery side of
the current shunt and the RED lead to the other
end of the current shunt
3. Current shunt voltage is proportional to battery
current, 100 millivolts = 1,000 amps. To get
current, multiply miltiilts
DC VOLTAGE O-45 VOLTS
STE/lCE-R TEST 89
1. Connect RED clip to the indicated test point,
BLACK clip to negative or ground.
2. Stan Test 89. DC Votts.
3. Displayed reading is in volts.
1. Set the voltmeter to a DC volts scale of at least
2. Connect the RED lead to positive and the
BLACK lead to negative.
3. Be sure to read the correct scale.