11-209. HEATER REPLACEMENT (M996, M996A1)
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
Sealing compound (Appendix C, Item 44)
Two screw-assembled lockwashers
(Appendix G, Item 211)
l Blower assembly removed (para. 11-212).
. Heater outlet hose removed (para. 11-206).
General Safety Instructions
Do not perform this procedure near fire, flames, or
Diesel fuel is highly flammable. Do not perform this procedure
near fire, flames, or sparks. Severe injury or death will result.
. Have drainage container ready to catch fuel.
l Cover or plug all open connections immediately after
disconnection to prevent contamination. Remove all covers or
plugs prior to connection.
l Apply sealing compound to threads of all fuel line joints before
1. Disconnect fuel line (11) from heater (2) and allow fuel to drain.
2. Disconnect control box plug (7) from heater receptacle (1).
3. Remove two clamps (9) and heater (2) from mounting brackets (10).
4. Remove four screws (8) and outlet (5) from heater (2).
5. Remove two screw-assembled lockwashers (6), exhaust tube (4), and seal (3) from heater (2). Discard
screw-assembled lockwashers (6).
6. Inspect seal (3) for damage, replace if damaged.
1. Install seal (3) and exhaust tube (4) on heater (2) with two screw-assembled lockwashers (6).
2. Install outlet (5) on heater (2) with four screws (8).
3. Install two clamps (9) on mounting brackets (10).
Have assistant guide exhaust outlet into exhaust pipe from outside of
vehicle. Install heater exhaust outlet in first for proper clearance.
4. Install heater (2) on mounting brackets (10) with clamps (9).