11-202. COMPRESSOR BELT MAINTENANCE
This task covers:
M997, M997A1, M997A2
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
Belt tension gauge (Appendix B, Item 67)
Crowfoot, 14 mm (Appendix B, Item 152)
l Engine right splash shield removed (para. 10-20).
l Engine access cover removed (para. 10-15).
l Serpentine drivebelt removed (A2 series only)
1. Loosen two capscrews (10) from compressor (11) and support bracket (12).
2. Loosen two nuts (1) and capscrew (7) from adjusting bracket (5) and mounting ears (6).
3. Loosen nut (2) on adjusting bracket (5) and timing cover bolt (3), and push compressor (11) toward
timing chain cover (4) to loosen belt (9).
4. Disconnect fan drive hose (15) from fan drive assembly (17).
5. Remove belt (9) from compressor pulley (8), water pump pulley (14), crankshaft pulley (16), and over
fan blades (13).
Install belt (9) over fan blades (13) and place belt (9) on crankshaft pulley (16), water pump pulley (14),
and compressor pulley (8).
If belt was replaced, go to step 2.
1. Perform Removal, steps a.1 through a.4.
DO not pry against compressor housing with pry bar when
adjusting belt tension. Compressor may be damaged.
2. Pull compressor (11) away from timing chain cover (4) and position pry bar between rear mounting
ear (6) and support bracket (12) to adjust belt tension.
3. Using belt tension gauge, check belt (9) for proper tension (refer to table 11-1).
Table 11-1. Compressor Belt Tension Requirements
A used belt iS one that has run at least fifteen
minutes or fifteen miles (24 kilometers).