11-168. NBC PRECLEANED, PARTICULATE FILTER ASSEMBLY, AND BRACKET
This task covers:
M996, M996A1, M997, M997A1, M997A2
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
NBC access door opened (TM 9-2320-280-10).
Eight lockwashers (Appendix G, Item 110)
Four lockwashers (Appendix G, Item 130)
General Safety Instructions
NBC contaminated filters must be handled and
disposed of only by trained personnel.
NBC contaminated filters must be handled and disposed of only by auth-
orized and trained personnel. The unit commander or senior officer in
charge of maintenance personnel must ensure that prescribed protective
clothing (FM 3-4) is used, and prescribed safety measures and
(FM 3-5) are followed. The local unit SOP is
responsible for final disposal of contaminated air filters.
The procedures for replacing precleaned and particulate filter and filter
assembly and bracket are basically the same for M996, M996A1, M997,
M997A1, and M997A2 ambulances. This procedure covers precleaner
and particulate filter and bracket in M997, M997A1, and M997A2
ambulances. The basic differences in M996 and M996A1 ambulance are:
- The rigid PVC air line is replaced by flex tube and plastic clamps.
- Bracket is mounted on the floor of the NBC compartment and is
secured by four capscrews, washers, lockwashers, and nuts.
1. Disconnect lead and connector (para. 4-101).
2. Loosen two clamps (1) on precleaned and particulate filter assembly (7) and connectors (2).
3. Remove latch (9) and arms (10) on precleaned and particulate filter assembly (7) from
4. Remove precleaner and particulate filter assembly (7) from connectors (2) and bracket (6).
Perform step 5 for M997, M997A1, and M997A2 vehicles only.
5. Remove four capscrews (5), lockwashers (4), and bracket (6) from body (3). Discard lockwashers (4).
Perform step 6 for M996 and M996A1 vehicles only.
6. Remove four nuts (11), lockwashers (12), capscrews (14), washers (13), and bracket (6) from floor (15)
of NBC compartment. Discard lockwashers (12).
7. For shipping or decontamination purposes, slide clip (8) over intake holes in precleaned and
particuate filter assembly (7).