10-17. ENGINE LEFT SPLASH SHIELD MAINTENANCE
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
Thirteen locknuts (Appendix G, Item 65)
Five lockwashers (Appendix G, Item 109)
Nut and lockwasher assembly
(Appendix G, Item 149)
Four rivets (Appendix G, Item 180)
l Battery ground cable disconnected (para. 4-73).
l Hood prop rod and bracket removed (para. 10-4).
General Safety Instructions
Hood must be supported during removal and
Hood must be supported during removal and installation. Failure to
support hood may cause injury to personnel and damage to equipment.
l Left splash shield maintenance is the same for all vehicles, except
M998, M998A1, M1035, M1035A1, M1035A2, M1037, M1038,
M1038A1, and M1042 vehicles do not have an armor plate
attached to side of shield.
Q The left splash shield can be modified with an access cover
which will provide easier access to transmission oil cooler lines, at
commanders discretion. Refer to appendix D, Figs. D-86 and D-87.
1. Disconnect hood harness (27) from connector receptacle (30).
2. Remove locknut (3), washer (2), capscrew (24), and washer (2) from splash shield (15) and support
bracket (1). Discard locknut (3).
3. Remove locknut (10), washer (11), washer (12), capscrew (20), and washer (11) from splash
shield (15) and airlift bracket (9). Discard locknut (10).
4. Remove capscrew (21), lockwasher (22), and washer (23) from splash shield (15) and airlift
bracket (9). Discard lockwasher (22).
5. Remove four screws (28), lockwashers (29), and connector receptacle (30) from bracket (32).
Discard lockwashers (29).
6. Remove nut and lockwasher assembly (39) and screw (37) from harness and clamp (38) and
splash shield (15). Discard nut and lockwasher assembly (39).
7. Remove locknut (13), washer (14), capscrew (19), washer (14), and splash shield (15) from
bracket (16). Discard locknut (13).
Perform step 1 only if vehicle has an armor plate.
1. Remove locknut (33), washer (34), capscrew (36), washer (34), and armor plate (35) from splash
shield (15). Discard locknut (31).