7-26. REAR DUAL SERVICE/PARKING BRAKE ADJUSTMENT
This task covers:
General mechanics tool kit:
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
Cotter pin (Appendix G, Item 19)
Wheels chocked and parking brake released
USBL Eff. 44825 and above.
The Kelsey-Hayes parking brake mechanism has an automatic
adjusting feature and does not require periodic manual
adjustment. When parking brake components or rear brake
pads are replaced, the parking brake linkage must be initially
positioned to ensure proper parking brake system operation.
The only additional adjustment necessary is accomplished with
the parking brake hand lever. Refer to TM 9-2320-280-10.
The following procedure applies to vehicles with serial numbers
1. Remove clip (1) and spread boot (2) to allow access to cotter pin (9).
2. Remove cotter pin (9), washer (8) and clevis pin (4) from clevis (5) and
bellcrank (3). Discard cotter
3. Repeatedly apply and adjust parking brake hand lever until bellcrank (3) linear travel is 0.75 in.
Holes in parking brake clevis must aline to the holes in the
adjusting bellcrank without force for proper parking brake
adjustment. Failure to do this may result in damage to equipment
and poor performance.
4. Release parking brake. Loosen nut (6) and adjust clevis (5) so holes in clevis (5) aline to holes in
bellcrank (3). Install clevis (5) on bellcrank (3) with clevis pin (4), washer (8), and cotter pin (9).
Do not overtighten brake rod. Overtightening brake rod may result
in dragging brakes.
5. If necessary, remove excess slack in parking brake cables by turning the parking brake rod (7)
clockwise or counterclockwise into the clevis (5).