5-14. MODULATOR ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT (3L80)
This task covers:
All vehicles except: M997A2, M1025A2,
Hood raised and secured (TM 9-2320-280-10).
M1035A2, M1043A2, M1045A2, M1097A2
Engine access cover removed (para. 10-15).
General Safety Instructions
General mechanics tool kit:
Allow transmission to cool before performing this
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
O-ring seal (Appendix G, Item 165)
W A R N I N G
Allow transmission to cool before performing this task. Failure to do
this may cause injury.
1. Pull off cable clip (6) from modulator control rod head (3).
2. Loosen mounting nuts (8) and (4) on cable bracket (1) and remove cable (7) and washer (5) from
3. Underneath vehicle, remove. capscrew (11) and modulator retaining clip (12) from transmission (13).
Have drainage container ready to catch fluid.
4. Remove modulator (10) and O-ring seal (14) from transmission (13). Discard O-ring seal (14).
1. Install O-ring seal (14) on modulator (10) and install modulator (10) in transmission (13).
2. Install modulator retaining clip (12) on transmission (13) with capscrew (11). Tighten capscrew (11)
to 18 lb-ft (24 N m).
Do not tighten mounting nuts.
3. Position modulator cable (7) through cable bracket (1) and install washer (5) and start mounting
Ensure cable is clear of exhaust system or other sources of extreme
heat to prevent damage to equipment.
4. Pull modulator control rod (2) to the rear until stop is engaged and hold in position.
5. With modulator cable core (9) in idle position (cable core (9) is extended), adjust modulator
mounting nuts (4) and (8) until modulator control rod head (3) and cable clip (6) align.