5-2. TRANSMISSION SERVICE (Contd)
Perform steps 6 through 9 for 4L80-E transmissions only.
Transfer case must be supported during removal and installation of
crossmember for access to oil pan capscrew and to prevent damage to
6. Place support under transfer case and remove two locknuts (3), washers (2), capscrews (6), and
crossmember (4) from support brackets (1) and (5). Discard locknuts (3).
N O TE
Oil pan gasket is reusable. Discard only if damaged.
7. Remove seventeen capscrews (12), oil pan (11), and gasket (10) from transmission (7).
8. Remove magnet (9) from oil pan (11). Remove filter (8) from transmission (7).
W A R N I NG
Drycleaning solvent is flammable and will not be used near an open
flame. A fire extinguisher will be kept nearby when the solvent is used
Use only in well-ventilated places. Failure to do this may result in
injury to personnel and/or damage to equipment.
9. Clean oil pan (11) thoroughly with drycleaning solvent.
c. Transmission Filter Installation
Perform steps 1 through 4 for 4L80-E transmissions only.
1. Install filter (8) in transmission (7). Install magnet (9) in oil pan (11).
2. Install gasket (10) and oil pan (11) on transmission (7) with seventeen capscrews (12).
3. Install crossmember (4) on support brackets (1) and (5) with two capscrews (6), washers (2), and
locknuts (3). Tighten locknuts (3) to 90 lb-ft (122 Nm).
4. Remove support from transfer case.