BATTERY INTERNAL RESISTANCE TEST #73
This procedure measures the internal battery
resistance. Internal battery resistance is a
measure of the state of the batteries. Test
requires DCA hookup only.
Evaluate batteries on Cl engines with VTM
being powered from battery of vehicle tested.
1. Disconnect fuel solenoid wire 54A from the
injector pump to prevent starting.
2. Make sure all vehicle accessories are off.
3. Set TEST SELECT switches to 73.
4. Press and hold TEST button until CAL
appears on display.
5. Release TEST button and waif for offset value
to appear on display. If offset is within the
-150 to 150 range, proceed. If not, go to DCA
6. Press and release TEST button.
7. When GO appears on display, crank engine
for 2 seconds or until one of the following
appears on the display OFF
An error message
8. Observe displayed value (milliohms). The limit
is 25 milliohms per battery pair.
9. Test #75 is Battery Resistance Change. You
can run that test after this one if you want to.
Run Confidence Test. Turn off all electrical
Possible Error Messages:
E002 Transducer not connected
E005 Offset not performed
E008 VTM does not detect battery voltage
E013 VTM cannot use data received.
E020 No first peak information was
detected by the VTM.
E021 VTM cannot calculate result because
current is over current probes range.
If .184.108.40.206 is displayed, battery internal
resistance was too high and cannot be
measured with VTM.
If E013 is displayed, then check battery
connections and correct as necessary.
Repeat Step 6. If E013 persists after 3
tests, VTM cannot perform test.