Change 1 2-147
This is not to evaluate driving performance. If the
engine or the vehicle makes strange noises or
vibrations at idle speed, don't rev the engine. If
there is a problem internal to the engine, revving
the engine could cause major damage (like a rod
coming through the engine block).
If the vehicle passes the STE/ICE-R Compression
Unbalance Test, it may still have a compression
problem, but it would mean that every cylinder has low
compression. This is possible, but not too likely. If you
don't find a problem and suspect compression, notify
DS maintenance to measure compression.
COMPRESSION / MECHANICAL
If STE/ICE-R is not available, accelerate under full
power to a reasonable speed on a flat, level, paved
surface. You have to decide from your own
experience whether or not the engine is developing
full power. A number greater than 75 is passing for
test # 13.
POWER TEST (% POWER)
STE/ICE-R TEST 13
1. Start and idle engine.
2. Run STE/ICE-R test #10 to set idle and
governor speed as necessary.
3. Start STE/ICE-R test #13.
4. When CIP appears on the display, press
down sharply on the accelerator and hold it
to the floor until the VTM displays OFF.
5. Displayed value is % POWER.
STE/ICE-R TEST 14
1. Run tests 72, 73, and 74 to verify that the
batteries are ok.
2. Disconnect wire 54A at injection pump to prevent
3. Disconnect glowplug controller and control valve
4. Start Test 14, Compression Unbalance.
5. Wait for the GO message. Crank the engine.
6. Release the rotary switch when the VTM
displays OFF. A number less than 25%
The glowplug controller and the
control valve electrical connector
must be disconnected prior to
running this test.