b. Starting Arctic Heater.
(1) Set temperature switch (4) on heater control box (1) to "LO" position.
(2) Move start switch (3) on heater control box (1) to "START" position and hold for approximately 2
minutes or until heater starts and yellow indicator lamp (2) comes on.
If the start switch is moved from the "START" to "ON" position too quickly, the
heater flame will be extinguished and the heater will need restarting.
(3) When heater starts, move start switch (3) on heater control box (1) to "ON" position. If heater does
not start, move start switch (3) to "OFF" position for 10 seconds and then back to "START" for 60 seconds.
Repeat procedure if heater doesn't start.
c. Starting Engine With Arctic Heater Assistance.
(1) Push defroster control knob (9) all the way in to ensure hot air is not directed on windshield.
(2) Pull exhaust diverter cable knob (6) out to allow heater exhaust to heat the engine oil pan.
(3) Open battery box door (8), by sliding away from plenum (7), to heat batteries.
(4) Move regulator control lever (5) to "ARCTIC HEATER" position.
Do not operate arctic heater in ambient temperatures above 0°F
(-18°C) or with temperature switch in "HI" position, when
temperature is above -25°F (-32°C). Damage to equipment will
(5) Start arctic heater and set temperature switch (4) on heater control box (1) to "LO" position for
temperatures from 0°F (-18°C) to -25°F (-32°C), or to "HI" position for temperatures from -25°F (-32°C) to -50°F
(6) Operate heater for 30 minutes maximum at -50°F (-46°C); less time may be required for higher
Close battery box door after 30 minutes of arctic heater operation or
when engine is running. Failure to do so may result in damage to
(7) Close battery box door (8) by sliding toward plenum (7).