c. During Operation.
Entering water too fast will cause water to splash up over hood and
into air intake. The engine may stop abruptly and will not crank.
Do not continue starting efforts; damage to engine will result.
Perform step 1 for M996, M996A1, M997, M997A1, and M997A2
(1) Enter water until water level has reached the bottom of the driver and
passenger windows, stop for a two minute waiting period to allow the ambulance
body to fill with water, then proceed with operations.
(2) Enter water slowly and maintain even vehicle speed, 5 mph (8 kph)
(3) Exit water in area with gentle slope.
(4) Place fording selector switch (1) in VENT position upon leaving water.
After fording do not use the hand throttle as an automatic speed or
cruise control. The hand throttle does not automatically disengage
when brake is applied, resulting in increased stopping distances
and possible hazardous and unsafe operation. Injury to personnel or
damage to equipment may result.
(5) Unlock and push in hand throttle (2).